This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Do you love to carve pumpkins with your children? Don’t throw away the seeds – learn how to roast pumpkin seeds at home instead of throwing them away with this step by step recipe.
Pumpkins aren’t just for pie, you know. They have so many uses besides pie and carving into jack o’ lanterns. One of my favorite memories from childhood is learning how to roast pumpkin seeds with my Gram.
Every year we would carve our jack o’ lanterns and then clean up the seeds to be roasted. I loved eating the roasted pumpkin seeds, but most of all, I loved the time spent with my Gram.
Now that I’m a mother with my own children, I’ve carried on the tradition of carving jack o’ lanterns with my girls. It’s a fun tradition that we all enjoy.
But, in order to really carry on the memory, I had to teach them how to roast pumpkin seeds, too.
A couple of days ago, I baked up a few pumpkins to make some pumpkin butter to freeze for the winter. It’s a little early to carve the jack o’ lanterns, but we decided to go ahead and roast the seeds anyway.
Normally, we just do plain pumpkin seeds, but this year, my oldest daughter thought it would be fun to flavor them, so we made them pizza flavored. It was a fun twist that I never would have thought of, but well worth the difference.
If you and your family enjoy carving jack o’ lanterns, don’t waste the seeds this year. Take the extra time to teach your children how to roast pumpkin seeds. It’s a memory they’ll carry on forever.
Here’s how to do it –
*Visit my resources page to see my favorite supplies!
- Large bowl
- Baking sheet
- 1 to 2 cups pumpkin seeds
- 1/4 cup oil (canola, olive or vegetable)
- Sea salt, as desired
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place the pumpkin seeds into a colander and rinse clean. Make sure to remove any of the pumpkin rinds or flesh.
- Pour the seeds into a large bowl. Cover with water. Let them soak for 1 to 2 hours. Drain.
- Return the pumpkin seeds to the bowl. Add oil and sea salt. Stir to cover the seeds.
- Arrange pumpkin seeds on a large baking sheet. Place into the oven and bake for 25 to 30 minutes, turning every 10 minutes.
- Store the roasted pumpkin seeds in a mason jar or zipper bag.
- 2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon oregano
- 1/4 teaspoon parsley
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- Combine Parmesan cheese, oregano, parsley and garlic powder in a small bowl.
- Sprinkle over roasted pumpkin seeds.
- Bake for an additional 5 to 10 minutes.
I hope you loved learning how to roast pumpkin seeds at home. They’re not only delicious, but they are super healthy for you, too.
You might also like:
- The Perfect Pumpkin Pie Recipe
- Pumpkin Spice Coffee Syrup Recipe
- How to Freeze Your Own Homemade Pumpkin Puree for Pies, Cakes and More!
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Great Day!
Last Updated on