This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Love Chinese food, but hate the expense? Make your own at home with this 20 minute Sweet and Spicy Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein…
Happy Monday! I’m working on building up our very own Chinese food menu here. A menu that doesn’t cost nearly as much as the one in your junk drawer!
Today, I’m adding this delicious Sweet and Spicy Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein that I made a couple of weeks ago.
I think you’re really going to love it.
I used ground beef instead of a steak and honestly, I’ll never go back to using steak. The ground beef was so tender and it blends throughout the noodles way better than slices of meat. No more fighting with giant chunks of steak that just won’t mix with the noodles!
And as for the noodles, I used Ramen, because why not? It’s cheap, works great in place of rice noodles and if you add your own spices and flavorings, it tastes great, too.
So, the next time you’ve got a hankering for Chinese food, try this Sweet and Spicy Beef and Broccoli Lo Mein, it’ll be ready in just 20 minutes!
Oh and just a side note: This recipe moves very quickly, so be sure to have your ingredients ready and waiting to dump in as you go!
Here’s the recipe…
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 16 oz. bag broccoli florets, frozen and thawed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup soy sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 teaspoon ginger, ground
- 2 teaspoons garlic, chopped
- 2 teaspoons red pepper flakes
- 3 packages Ramen noodles, sauce packet removed
- Brown the ground beef in a large skillet or wok, on medium-high temperature. Remove meat from the pan and place into a bowl. Set aside.
- Add broccoli to the beef drippings in the skillet and saute on medium-high heat for a minute or two or until soft. Remove broccoli and add to the bowl of ground beef. Set aside.
- Combine brown sugar, soy sauce, white vinegar and corn starch in a small bowl.
- Boil Ramen noodles for 3 minutes or as directed on the packaging. DO NOT add the spice packet. Drain.
- Pour olive oil into the skillet and heat on medium-high temperature until just bubbling.
- Add ginger, garlic and red pepper flakes to the olive oil. Quickly stir the spices around to soak up the oil.
- Pour the sauce mixture into the skillet and reduce heat to medium. Stir continuously until it thickens.
- Add the ground beef and broccoli, along with the prepared Ramen noodles, into the sauce and stir to combine.
- Serve hot.
Not into the Lo Mein?
Try some of the other recipes on our homemade Chinese food menu:
- Chinese Pineapple Chicken: Ready in 30 Minutes or Less!
- Easy General Tso Chicken Recipe
- Spicy Chicken Ramen: 5 Ingredients 10 Minutes
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive more free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your email