This BBQ Shepherd’s Pie recipe is SO easy to make and requires just 5 simple ingredients!
Hello! I hope you’re feeling well! Today, I’m excited to be sharing one of my favorite recipes, BBQ Shepherd’s Pie!
As I mentioned the other day, my goal is to help you navigate this crazy world we’re living in right now. And one of my favorite ways to do that is to share easy recipes that don’t cost a ton of money to make!
This BBQ Shepherd’s Pie is a super affordable recipe to make for your whole family and it’s perfect for using what you already have on hand!
You know, in case you can’t get to the grocery store…as is the situation for many people right now!
The 5 simple ingredients can easily be altered to fit what you DO have available and you can mix and match as necessary, too.
(Side note: I did not count the salt and pepper in the ingredient list as it’s not necessary. If you don’t have it, just leave it out!)
No ground beef? Use ground chicken, turkey, lamb or pork instead! You could even used sliced up pieces of leftover steak, chicken or pork chops.
Don’t have any mixed vegetables? Use the little bits left in the bags in the freezer. Mix them all up!
No BBQ sauce on hand? Make my 4-Ingredient Homemade BBQ Sauce – it’s ready in just 10 minutes!
Forgot the potatoes? Throw some homemade biscuits on top instead.
No cheddar cheese? Use American, Gouda or Parmesan. Cheese is cheese, my friends. It’s all good on anything!
That’s why I love this recipe so much! You can literally use any ingredients that you have available.
There is NO NEED to go to the grocery store for anything special!
So, if you’re looking for a simple recipe that can stretch a LONG way without using a ton of ingredients, then you have to try this BBQ Shepherd’s Pie!
Your family (and your wallet) will thank you!
Here’s the recipe…
- 1 lb. ground beef (chicken, turkey, lamb or pork would work too!)
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 package mixed vegetables, frozen (or 2 cups random mixed vegetables - any kind will do!)
- 1 bottle barbecue sauce (any flavor!)
- 2 packages instant mashed potatoes (or 4 cups of prepared mashed potatoes)
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Brown the ground beef, in a large saucepan, on medium temperature. Add salt and pepper, as desired.
- Add the mixed vegetables to the ground beef and stir to combine. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer for 5 minutes or until the vegetables are tender.
- Pour barbecue sauce over the top and stir to combine. Continue cooking over medium-low heat.
- Prepare mashed potatoes as directed on the packaging.
- Spread mashed potatoes over the top of the meat and vegetable mixture. Sprinkle the top with shredded cheddar cheese.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until bubbling.
You might also like:
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive updates on this subject, along with free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Have a Spectacular Day!
Vanessa Hamlin is the owner and founder of Food Life Design and VLHamlinDesign. With her passion for frugal living and homesteading, Vanessa loves to write about easy recipes, making money, gardening, home remedies and everything else that a good life entails! When she’s not writing for Food Life Design or creating products for VLHamlinDesign, you’ll find Vanessa reading, drawing, gardening, cooking or spending time with her family.