With St. Patrick’s Day behind us and the new growing season upon us, cabbage is at its lowest price and now is the time to stock up! And there is no better way to stock your pantry than with this delicious Bread and Butter Pickled Cabbage…
This delicious Bread and Butter Pickled Cabbage is the perfect side to your steak, pork chops or even grilled chicken! Plus, it takes less than an hour to process and it only requires 6 simple ingredients that you likely already have at home.
Better yet! If you don’t want to can this yummy cabbage, just mix it up and put it in the fridge instead.
It’ll last for weeks, as long as it stays cold!
So, let’s head to the kitchen and make this…
Before you get started: Be sure to read instructions here for safe canning methods and find your appropriate canning time in the table shown here.
Start by shredding your cabbage. Personally, I prefer to chop it really thin with a sharp knife, but if you prefer to use a cheese grater or your food processor…have at it!
Now, give your cabbage a good rinse in some cold water and then strain it out.
Combine vinegar, sugar and spices in a large stock pot. Heat on medium high temperature until boiling.
Drop the cabbage into the vinegar brine and stir it all around to coat. Cook for 5 minutes or until the cabbage is wilted and soft.
Scoop the cabbage into sterilized pint size jars and fill with the vinegar brine, leaving about 1/4 inch of headspace.
Wipe the rims clean and cover with lids and rings.
Process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
Remove jars from the water and allow them to cool in place for at least 12 hours before moving them to your food storage.
How to Can Pickled Cabbage
- 2 to 3 large heads of cabbage
- 3 cups apple cider vinegar
- 5 cups sugar
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon red pepper flakes
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- Wash and prepare 6 pint jars with lids and rings.
- Fill a water bath pot with water and heat on medium temperature.
- Cut each cabbage into quarters and remove the core. Chop each quarter of cabbage into fine shreds.
- Combine vinegar, sugar, salt, garlic and red pepper in a large stock pot. Heat on high temperature until boiling.
- Add the shredded cabbage to the vinegar brine and stir to cover. Cook for 5 minutes or until the cabbage is wilted.
- Scoop cabbage into jars and cover with vinegar brine, leaving 1/4 inch headspace.
- Wipe the rims of the jars to ensure they are clean. Place the lids on the jars and add rings.
- Place jars into a wire rack and drop it into the water bath.
- Process for 20 minutes. Remove from the water bath and allow the jars to cool for at least 12 hours before adding to your food storage.
And let me just add…it’s pretty stinkin’ good straight outta the jar, too!
You might also like:
- Dill Zucchini Pickles Recipe
- Bread and Butter Dill Pickles Recipe
- The Best Bread and Butter Zucchini Pickles Recipe
Have a Great Day!
Vanessa Hamlin is the owner and founder of Food Life Design and VLHamlinDesign. With her passion for frugal living and homesteading, Vanessa loves to write about easy recipes, making money, gardening, home remedies and everything else that a good life entails! When she’s not writing for Food Life Design or creating products for VLHamlinDesign, you’ll find Vanessa reading, drawing, gardening, cooking or spending time with her family.