For the bread batter:
- 2 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 extra large eggs
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 2 teaspoons orange extract
- 2 tablespoons orange zest
- 1 cup cranberries, dried
- 1 small orange, peeled and diced
For the icing:
- 1 cup confectioners sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 to 4 tablespoons milk
Prepare the bread batter:
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a 9 inch x 5 inch bread loaf pan.
- Combine flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a large mixing bowl.
- Add milk, oil, orange juice, eggs and the orange extract to the dry ingredients. Use an electric mixer to combine.
- Sprinkle in the orange zest, cranberries and orange chunks. Mix on low speed until just combined.
- Pour batter into greased loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 65 to 75 minutes.
- Remove bread from the oven and allow it to cool inside the pan for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer the bread from the pan onto a cooling rack. Cool for an additional 10 to 15 minutes.
Prepare the icing:
- Combine confectioners sugar, vanilla and milk in a small bowl.
- Use a small whisk to mix until smooth and creamy.
- Drizzle icing over cooled bread.
- Slice and serve!
Years ago, before I was much of a baker, I used to buy this Cranberry Orange bread mix from Pillsbury.
The girls loved it and it was good enough that I could throw some mini loaves in with the Christmas gift boxes for the family.
But, as I became a better baker, I stopped buying those premade mixes and started experimenting on my own.
Quick breads are one of my favorite ways to experiment because there are so many different things you can add into them.
And Cranberry Orange Bread is one of my family’s favorite experiments!
It’s really the perfect bread to make for ANY occasion. Honestly, I’m not even sure why we call it bread, because it should be cake.
It’s so soft and sweet and delicious, it deserves a better name.
You can serve it for a snack, dessert or even breakfast! Plus, it makes a great gift for family and friends during the holidays.
I hope you love it as much as we do!
- 9 inch x 5 inch bread loaf pan
- Large mixing bowl and electric mixer or stand mixer with bowl
- Cooling rack
- Small mixing bowl
- Small whisk
You might also like:
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Have a Spectacular Day!
Vanessa Hamlin is the owner and founder of Food Life Design and VLHamlinDesign. With her passion for frugal living and homesteading, Vanessa loves to write about easy recipes, making money, gardening, home remedies and everything else that a good life entails! When she’s not writing for Food Life Design or creating products for VLHamlinDesign, you’ll find Vanessa reading, drawing, gardening, cooking or spending time with her family.