Need a quick and easy soup to warm you up on a cold night? Try my Easy Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup – it’s ready in less than 30 minutes and it starts with a sneaky instant ingredient!
We’ve been lucky enough to have a fairly mild winter here in Vermont this year. The weather really isn’t much different than at our old home in upstate New York. So, we’re used to it.
When I say mild, I generally mean that the temperatures have stayed at an average of around 30 degrees Fahrenheit. It’s been a lot colder for a few days here and there and we’ve been lucky enough to have some warmer days, too.
Regardless of the weather, soup is a mainstay on our dinner menu in the winter. Not only does it warm you up from the inside out, but it’s a delicious, easy and cheap meal to serve the family.
My oldest daughter is usually my guinea pig for new recipes, because she loves to try new foods. My youngest daughter, on the other hand, generally hates soup and unless it’s filled with cheese, she’s not eating it.
My Easy Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup is so rich and creamy, it tastes like you’ve slaved in the kitchen for hours, so go ahead and let the family think you have!
No one needs to know that it’s ready to eat in less than 30 minutes or that it starts with an instant potato packet!
Here’s the recipe –
- Large pot
- Slotted spoon
- Food processor
- 4 cups water
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 cups broccoli
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 package garlic flavored instant potatoes
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- Pour water into a large pot. Add bouillon cubes, broccoli and spices to the water. Heat on high temperature until boiling.
- Remove broccoli from the boiling water with a slotted spoon. Do not dump the water.
- Place the broccoli into a food processor. Pulse 4 or 5 times to chop the broccoli.
- Turn the heat down to medium-low. Pour instant potatoes into the boiling water mixture. Add milk and stir to combine.
- Return chopped broccoli to the pot and continue cooking for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the shredded cheddar cheese. Stir to combine. Continue cooking on low for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Ladle this delicious Easy Cheesy Broccoli Potato Soup into large soup bowls and serve hot with warm, crusty garlic bread.
You might also like:
- 6 Best Winter Soups To Warm You Up On a Cold Night
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup in Homemade Bread Bowls
- Homemade Chicken and Stars Soup Recipe
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Spectacular Day!
Vanessa Hamlin is the owner and founder of Food Life Design and VLHamlinDesign. With her passion for frugal living and homesteading, Vanessa loves to write about easy recipes, making money, gardening, home remedies and everything else that a good life entails! When she’s not writing for Food Life Design or creating products for VLHamlinDesign, you’ll find Vanessa reading, drawing, gardening, cooking or spending time with her family.