Got the sniffles with no end in sight? Try my Homemade Healing Soup for Colds and Flu and you’ll be feeling like your old self in no time!
There is nothing like a good, old dose of Jewish penicillin when your feeling under the weather. And I recently had a bit of cold with a runny nose that I just couldn’t get rid of no matter what I tried. So, I headed to the kitchen to whip up some of this delicious Homemade Healing soup to help get rid of it.
This yummy soup is packed full of vitamins, minerals and immune boosting properties. To be honest, it doesn’t get much better when you’re fighting a cold or flu that just won’t let up!
Here’s what you’ll need…
Some chicken…obviously! Feel free to use breasts, thighs or drumsticks…whatever you have on hand will be perfect!
Potatoes…I like to use Yukon gold for this soup because they hold up well and keep their shape best, but feel free to throw in white potatoes or even sweet potatoes if you like.
Now, the veggies…I used green beans, celery, carrots, kale and spinach in this particular batch of soup, but honestly, you could add any kind of vegetables you like best.
Moving onto the spices and herbs…
The most important part here…
You’ll need salt and pepper, garlic, turmeric, thyme, ginger and red pepper flakes.
The salt and pepper are for flavoring, of course, but the rest pack a major immune boosting punch into this soup!
Garlic is packed full of antibiotic properties.
Turmeric fights inflammation and contains high levels of antioxidants.
Thyme has anti-inflammatory, anti-microbial, and anti-septic properties, plus it’s known to help fight cough, too!
Ginger is packed full of antioxidants, anti-inflammatory and anti-bacterial properties, too!
And last, but certainly not least, Red Pepper Flakes contain loads of health benefits including; Calcium, Vitamin A, Vitamin C, Vitamin E, Iron, Potassium, Magnesium, Beta-carotene, Vitamin B6, Folate, Niacin, Riboflavin, Vitamin K. All very important vitamins and minerals required to boost your immune system and get you feeling healthy again!
In addition to the meat, vegetables and delicious spices, you’ll also need chicken bone broth and lemon juice.
I know that sounds like a whole lotta ingredients, but really this soup is so simple to make, you can have it ready in under an hour!
So, are you ready to make this delicious Homemade Healing Soup for your family?
Awesome! Let’s head to the kitchen…
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 chicken breasts, boneless and skinless, cut into 1 inch chunks
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- 2 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon thyme, dried
- 2 cups potatoes, diced
- 1 cup green beans
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 2 cup carrots, sliced
- 1 cup spinach
- 1 cup kale
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 32 ounces chicken bone broth
- Heat olive oil in a large pot on medium temperature.
- Add cut up chicken breast and saute.
- Sprinkle in salt, pepper, garlic, ginger, turmeric, thyme and red pepper. Continue to saute for 3 to 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes, green beans, celery and carrots to the chicken. Saute for an additional 5 minutes.
- Sprinkle in the kale and spinach.
- Pour lemon juice and chicken broth over the meat and vegetables. Bring to a boil, then simmer for 45 to 60 minutes.
- Serve hot with your favorite crusty bread!
You might also like:
- Homemade Chicken and Stars Soup Recipe
- Slow Cooker Hamburger Soup in Homemade Bread Bowls
- 6 Best Winter Soups To Warm You Up On a Cold Night
Have an Awesome Day!
Vanessa Hamlin is the owner and founder of Food Life Design and VLHamlinDesign. With her passion for frugal living and homesteading, Vanessa loves to write about easy recipes, making money, gardening, home remedies and everything else that a good life entails! When she’s not writing for Food Life Design or creating products for VLHamlinDesign, you’ll find Vanessa reading, drawing, gardening, cooking or spending time with her family.