I’ve got the perfect recipe for dinner tonight! Homemade hot pockets are a family favorite.
Not only do the kids love them but they are also the perfect thing to make and freeze to have a snack, a future quick dinner or even a batch ready to go for lunch boxes for the upcoming week.
Store bought hot pockets contain an alarming amount of preservatives, additives and saturated fats.
Making your own hot pockets at home with a homemade pizza dough and fresh ingredients will leave you feeling less guilty about this easy dinner.
You won’t mind the kids reaching into the freezer for this hot pocket!
Homemade Hot Pockets
Let me get you started with a simple pizza dough that takes only 6 ingredients and is so simple to put together.
This is the kind of recipe that I love to let the kids get in on. They enjoy all the simple steps and find it really rewarding tasting the fruits of their labor in the end
Homemade Pizza Dough – Just 6 Ingredients
This dough recipe is the best to use for any type of pizza recipe. It is simple, straight forward and you can make it in advance.
I’d recommend making it a day before which will allow the yeast to mature and flavors to deepen! Makes roughly 15-18 pockets.
You Will Need:
- 8 cups flour
- 2 tsp. tsp dried instant yeast
- 2 tsp. kosher salt
- 3 cups warm water
- 2/3 cup olive oil + enough to coat bowl
To Make Dough:
- Stir yeast into warm water, allowing 10 minutes for yeast to activate. You will see bubbles forming in bowl.
- Use paddle attachment in stand mixer to blend together salt and flour.
- Drizzle in 2/3 cup of olive oil into flour mixture on low setting.
- Pour in warm yeast mixture and allow to mix until well combined and dough is sticky.
- Form dough into a ball and place into a separate olive oil greased bowl, then cover with plastic wrap.
- Allow dough to rise for 1 hour in a warm spot in the house or a preheated and turned off oven. 1 extra hour in fridge will make it easier to work with!
You can store this dough in an airtight container in the refrigerator for up to two days or in the freezer for up to three months!
Fill your pockets with fillings of choice. Some really delicious choices are…
- Pepperoni Pizza: Red sauce, shredded cheese and pepperoni
- Steak & Cheese: Shredded steak, provolone cheese, peppers & onions
- Ham & Cheese: Cut ham and swiss cheese
- Meatball Grinder: Meatball chunks, marinara and mozzarella cheese
- Mozz Bombs: Sliced fresh mozzarella, jalapeno, basil and bacon
- Meat Lovers: Bacon, ground hamburger, Canadian bacon and pepperoni
- Cheese Board Lover: Sliced brie, apples, bacon jam and prosciutto
- Veghead: Caramelized onions, feta, balsamic vinegar, pesto, mushroom
Making Hot Pockets:
- Pre-heat your oven to 350, F.
- Lightly flour a flat surface and roll out your dough. You want it rolled out to about 1/2 cm thick.
- Next, use a cutter or similar object with a circular shape that is about 9cm. Cut out circles.
- Roll your circles out slightly more for working room for ingredients.
- Add your sauce and toppings of choice being cautious to not overfill so that they seal correctly.
- Gently pull dough up to seal at top. Flip over and place on baking sheet seam side down.
- Brush pockets with olive oil and sprinkle with seasoning if you’d like (garlic powder, parsley or Italian seasoning).
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or until pockets are nicely browned and crispy.
I have some other great articles that could be perfect for your evening of homemade doughs and sauces.
Or maybe you’d like to use your bread machine to mix up a batch of dough! We have you covered with The Best Bread Machine Pizza Dough Recipe!
And if pizza or pocket style dinners are your thing we have some other delicious recipes that you might want to add to your meal calendar for an upcoming dinner! Check out these options…
- Cheesy Chicken Pizza Burgers: Just 4 Ingredients!
- Easy Chicken Parmesan Sandwiches
- Chicken Alfredo Pizza Recipe
- Flatbread Pizza with Spicy Bacon & Garlic
- Pizza Burger Puffs
- Philly Cheesesteak Egg Rolls
Here’s to fueling ours and our families bodies with more homemade, hand crafted and made with love goods!
A recipe from my kitchen to yours.
You Might Also Like…
- Homemade Chicken Nuggets for the Freezer: Your Kids Will Love These!
- Savory and Spicy Cowboy Sandwiches
- Make Your Own Individual Cheese Pizza for the Freezer
Love, light and a little grace…
Olivia Whalen is mama to three young girls who is devoted to creative learning, exploration and free range imagination. Olivia enjoys thinking outside of the box when it comes to preparing homemade baby food or meals for her family. She most enjoys allowing the little minds in her life to flourish and with that you will see her write about creative kid crafts, recipes that fit a family budget and keep everyone asking for more, tips and tricks for a tiny babe, and beginner homesteader fun! Some of her hobbies include gardening, hiking, reading, cooking or just basking in motherhood.