This is one of those meals people will talk about for ages after they get a chance to grab a plate. My honey BBQ mac and cheese is something I make to fill us up and keep our guests happy! It is also a comfort dish for my family!
This mac and cheese with a homemade cheese sauce is really easy to make! It has perfect amount of savory vs. sweet. One big batch goes a long way, too! For my family of 5 it is easily dinner and lunch the next day.
Honey BBQ Mac and Cheese
- 1 box Cavatappi noodles
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 16 oz. package of bacon, preferred thick cut
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken strips, or purchased premade frozen honey BBQ strips
- 1 stick of butter
- 3 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 3 cups milk
- 2 cups shredded cheese of choice, additional cup set aside for topping
- Crushed crackers, optional
Homemade Honey BBQ strips
- 2 eggs, room temp
- Cup of milk
- 1 1/2 cups all purpose flour
- 1 cup honey
- 1.5 cups BBQ sauce of choice
- Do a basic egg wash on your chicken strips. Set three bowls out (1 for egg, 1 for milk, 1 for flour). Dip your chicken through those bowls.
- Mix together honey and barbecue sauce and finish your egg washed chicken with this mixture.
- Cook in oven until tender. Remove and chop.
Build Your Honey BBQ Mac & Cheese:
- Preheat your oven to 390 degrees, F.
- Lay your bacon flat on a foil lined baking sheet and sprinkle brown sugar evenly all over the bacon.
- Remove bacon when cooked through and drip the grease off on a paper towel lined plate. Chop the bacon and set aside.
- Boil water stovetop for noodles, cook until al dente. Strain pasta and then place in a 9×13 glass casserole dish, or similar.
- Top with maple syrup giving it a good mix.
- Cook your chicken, homemade, or pre bought frozen, until no longer pink (roughly 20-25 minutes) or by packaging instructions. Remove and chop.
- Roll your chopped bacon and chicken into the noodles in your dish.
- Warm a skillet stovetop and melt butter. Add in your flour whisking until combined.
- Slowly pour in milk, constantly whisking. Allow to bubble and thicken. Add 2 cups of cheese choice(s).
- Pour over noodle and meat mixture. Top with crushed crackers and top with remaining shredded cheese.
- Cook about 10 minutes or until the cheese is nicely melted on top!
Think about giving this savory dish a try at your next gathering or if you are looking to change up the dinner menu for your family this week!
It will leave you full and content, promise!
You Might Also Like…
- Homemade Baked Macaroni and Cheese Recipe
- Macaroni and Tomato Casserole Recipe
- Filling Ham & Egg Noodle Casserole
Love, light and a little grace…
Olivia Whalen is mama to three young girls who is devoted to creative learning, exploration and free range imagination. Olivia enjoys thinking outside of the box when it comes to preparing homemade baby food or meals for her family. She most enjoys allowing the little minds in her life to flourish and with that you will see her write about creative kid crafts, recipes that fit a family budget and keep everyone asking for more, tips and tricks for a tiny babe, and beginner homesteader fun! Some of her hobbies include gardening, hiking, reading, cooking or just basking in motherhood.