This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Have you ever wondered how to can crushed tomatoes at home? Does it seem like a daunting task that takes more time than you’d like to spend? It doesn’t have to be that way! Read below to learn how to can crushed tomatoes at home in no time at all!
As a little girl, I would sit for hours watching my Gram can crushed tomatoes. It was an enduring process that seemed to take FOREVER!
Especially for a little girl waiting desperately to go in the swimming pool.
But, the homemade pizza and spaghetti sauce that she made with those canned tomatoes was always well worth the wait.
God, how I miss those days!
Today, I continue the tradition and can crushed tomatoes myself, but I do it a little differently than Gram did.
I’m all for keeping up the traditions and passing them down, but if I can figure out an easier way to do it, I’ll take it every time!
Crushed Tomatoes Galore!
In the past, I’ve bought the tomatoes from the farmers market or grocery. But, this year, I have SO.MANY.TOMATOES. from my own garden!
In fact, I’m up to 6 pints and 14 quarts of crushed tomatoes along with 8 half-pints of Homemade Ro-Tel with still more to do!
It’s more than I’ve ever done in the past and while I’m exhausted and sick of canning, I know it’s going to be so worth it when winter comes and I don’t want to go grocery shopping!
What to do with all the crushed tomatoes…
Anything you would use a store-bought can of tomatoes for – just replace it with your home-canned crushed tomatoes!
Homemade makes everything better!
I promise, you’re going to love that fresh taste so much, you’ll never want to buy a can of crushed tomatoes again!
So, if you’re like me and prefer the taste of home-canned tomatoes, but want an easier way, then you have to try this method…it’s so simple and it doesn’t take half the time that our grandmothers’ spent in the kitchen!
Supplies You’ll Need:
- 4 Quart jars or 8 pint jars with lids, approximately
- Food processor or blender
- Large stockpot
- Water Bath Canner and Rack
- Canning tools (funnel, jar lifter)
- 20 to 30 tomatoes, washed and cored
- 4 tbsp kosher salt
- Prepare and sterilize 4 quart jars and lids.
- Place washed and cored tomatoes into a food processor or blender. Pulse 8 or 10 times to crush the tomatoes or keep pulsing until the tomatoes are the consistency you like.
- Pour the crushed tomatoes into a large stockpot and heat on medium-high temperature until boiling.
- Turn the temperature down to medium-low and continue cooking for 45 to 60 minutes or until the tomatoes have reduced by half. Stir occasionally.
- Use a ladle to scoop the crushed tomatoes into the clean jars.
- Add 1 tablespoon of kosher salt to the top of the tomatoes in each jar. Do not stir.
- Place clean lids and screw tops onto the jars.
- Process in a hot water bath for 45 minutes. Remove the jars from the water and allow them to sit, covered with a towel, overnight.
- Label and store jars of crushed tomatoes for up to 1 year in a cool, dark cabinet.
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Spectacular Day!