This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Love Mexican food? Learn how to make your own homemade tortillas to go with your favorite spicy dinner!
Like bread, tortillas are a staple that we almost always have in the pantry. But like everything else, they are getting more and more expensive. So, awhile back, the girls and I decided it would be fun to try and make our own homemade tortillas.
We went in search of a new recipe and were surprised to find that making homemade tortillas is super simple!
It only requires five basic ingredients that we always have in the house. And it literally takes less than 20 minutes to make a whole batch.
Why on earth do we even bother to buy them?
So, in honor of Cinco de Mayo, I thought today would be the perfect day to share this recipe for Homemade Tortillas. And you can use these tortillas for so many things!
Anything that you would normally buy flour tortillas for, like:
- Mexican Lasagna
So, if you’ve got a Mexican dish on your dinner menu tonight, why not give it a try?
Make your own tortillas for dinner tonight. You can do it!
Here’s the recipe…
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
- Combine the flour, kosher salt and baking powder in a food processor.
- Add the shortening to the dry ingredients and pulse until the mixture resembles fine crumbs.
- Pour the water into the crumbs and pulse until a soft dough forms.
- Heat a large skillet on medium temperature.
- Place the dough on a lightly floured surface and gently knead a couple of times.
- Separate the dough into 18 equal balls.
- Roll each dough ball into a flat circle measuring approximately 8 inches.
- Place 1 tortilla in the skillet at a time. Cook for 2 minutes, flip and cook for 2 additional minutes. Repeat with each tortilla.
- Use your homemade flour tortillas right away or place a sheet of wax paper between each one and freeze in a large zipper seal bag for use in the future.
You might also like:
- The Easiest Rustic Bread Recipe You’ll Ever Make
- The Best Basic Italian Bread Recipe
- Homemade Honey Sandwich Bread in 30 Minutes
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Spectacular Day!
Last Updated on