For my daughters birthday she made a request for lemon lime cupcakes!
What a fun request it was. I really enjoyed the flavor combination and the slight pop of citrus in each bite was a lovely nod to summer while we enter the chillier season.
Another reason we all really liked them was they were a treat but not overly sweet. Both myself and my kiddos love a treat now and again but don’t like things to taste artificial. Probably due to my scratch cooking in the kitchen. And for that, I am not mad!
This citrus burst of flavor was just right. I truly can’t wait to make another batch and share it with others.
Lemon Lime Cupcakes
The cupcakes are a classic slightly sweet citrus bite and the frosting is an easy lime cream cheese frosting. Myself, I prefer a cream cheese frosting over a buttercream and this did not disappoint!
- 1 3/4 cups all purpose flour, (I always use King Arthur All Purpose Flour)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon zest
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 stick unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg, room temperature
- 1 cup whole milk, room temperature
- 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees, F.
- Line a muffin tin with liners, this recipe makes about 15 cupcakes so line two and a half if you’d like. I made one batch of full size cupcake and one mini cupcake tray for fun!
- In a medium bowl combine flour, baking soda, baking powder, salt and lemon zest.
- In your mixer on medium speed beat your butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in egg until combined and then milk and lemon juice.
- Slowly add in flour mixture in small batches, allowing the mixer to work it in.
- Fill muffin tins 3/4 of the way, bake for 15-20 minutes or until toothpick ready!
- Allow to cool for 10+ minutes on wire rack.
Lime Zest Cream Cheese Frosting
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter , softened
- 8 oz cream cheese – 1 block, room temp
- 2 tbsp fresh lime juice
- 3 tbsp fresh lime zest, about 2 limes
- Powdered sugar, about 4 cups
- Add butter to stand mixer and mix until creamy.
- Add your cream cheese in and mix until well combined.
- Slowly add in cups of powdered sugar until desired sweetness is matched.
- Add in lime zest and juice.
- For thicker cupcake piping constancy, refrigerate for 30 minutes before topping cupcakes.
Use a citrus peeler to add in some fun tiny bits to top your cupcakes and jazz them up! Or, use a little of the leftover citrus zest to add in a natural “sprinkle!”
You Might Also Like….
Love, light and a little grace…
Olivia Whalen is mama to three young girls who is devoted to creative learning, exploration and free range imagination. Olivia enjoys thinking outside of the box when it comes to preparing homemade baby food or meals for her family. She most enjoys allowing the little minds in her life to flourish and with that you will see her write about creative kid crafts, recipes that fit a family budget and keep everyone asking for more, tips and tricks for a tiny babe, and beginner homesteader fun! Some of her hobbies include gardening, hiking, reading, cooking or just basking in motherhood.