This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
This rustic bread recipe makes 2 loaves and it’s ready in less than 2 hours – including rise time!
As you already know I love to make homemade bread. It’s cheap, delicious and so much better for you than store-bought bread.
I know you have the image in your head right now, of standing in the kitchen for hours kneading bread. But, it doesn’t have to be that way!
You really can make homemade bread without putting a lot of work into it!
The texture is so similar to store-bought bread, which makes it perfect for sandwiches. But, it tastes more like homemade bread.
In fact, the flavor is very, close to my family’s recipe for farmhouse bread that has been passed down for 4 generations (which I will never share, I’m sorry), but it is so much easier to make.
So, if you’re in the mood for homemade bread or you’re having soup for dinner on this chilly, May evening, then give this rustic bread recipe a try – but, be careful – after you’ve made it once, I can’t guarantee how your family will react.
Be prepared to buy more flour…you’re going to need it!
Here’s the recipe –
- 2 cups warm water
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons instant dry yeast
- 4 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 10 minutes - Combine warm water, yeast and sugar in a large mixing bowl. Let the mixture sit for about 10 minutes or until it becomes foamy.
- 2 minutes - Add flour and salt to the yeast mixture. Mix on medium-low speed until combined.
- 45 to 60 minutes - Cover the mixing bowl and allow the dough to rest in a warm spot until it has risen to double its size.
- 1 minute - Grease 2 bread loaf pans or use 1-liter oven-safe glass bowls instead.
- 2 minutes - Use a greased wooden spoon to scoop half of the dough into each loaf pan or bowl. Set pans on top of the stove to allow the dough to rise again.
- >1 minute - Pour melted butter over the top of each loaf of bread.
- >1 minute - Preheat the oven to 425 degrees Fahrenheit.
- 15 minutes - Arrange bread loaf pans in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
- 15 minutes - Turn the oven down to 375 and bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Remove from oven and cool on wire racks.
Total time: +/- 1 hour 47 minutes
You might also like:
- The Best Basic Italian Bread Recipe
- Homemade Honey Sandwich Bread in 30 Minutes
- 5 Easy Bread Recipes That Will Save You A TON of Money
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Spectacular Day!
Last Updated on