This spicy Rhubarbecue sauce is the perfect topping for BBQ chicken, steak and even pulled pork! Plus, it’s a great way to use up the rhubarb harvest from your garden!
Hello – I hope you’re doing awesome today! As I mentioned the other day, my rhubarb patch has been growing like crazy and Rhubarbecue sauce was high on my canning list this year.
My step-mother absolutely loves it and has put in a special request for it to be in their Christmas gift boxes.
Of course, I had to make it!
The recipe I used last year, was really good!
We all enjoyed it and I never would have thought to make BBQ sauce from rhubarb if I hadn’t found that recipe!
But, we generally like our BBQ sauce a little spicier around here.
So, with just a few tweaks to the recipe, I was able to give this yummy Rhubarbecue sauce a little more bite without altering the flavor too much.
And man is it good!
If you didn’t know it had rhubarb in it, you would never in a million years guess.
But, there’s just something about the flavor that you wouldn’t get without it.
So, if you’re looking for a way to use up some of that excess rhubarb, then don’t hesitate to give this Spicy Rhubarbecue sauce a try!
It might just become your new favorite!
Here’s the recipe:
- 8 cups rhubarb, diced
- 3 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 2 cups apple cider vinegar
- 1 1/2 cups raisins, chopped
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon cloves
- Combine all ingredients in a large stock pot. Bring to a boil on high temperature and stir constantly until the rhubarb is soft.
- Use an immersion blender to blend until smooth. Or let cool for 5 to 10 minutes, then transfer to a standard blender and blend until smooth.
- Return to pot and heat to boiling on high temperature.
- Turn the temperature down to low and continue to simmer for 1 to 1 1/2 hours.
- Fill sterilized jars. Wipe rims clean and cover with lids and rings.
- Process in a hot water bath for 20 minutes.
You might also like these delicious recipes:
- Cinnamon Rhubarb Jam
- 4-Ingredient Homemade BBQ Sauce Recipe
- Cheesy BBQ Meatloaf Bowls: Ready in Less Than 1 Hour!
Signup for my daily newsletter to receive recipes, free printables, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Have a Spectacular Day!
Vanessa Hamlin is the owner and founder of Food Life Design and VLHamlinDesign. With her passion for frugal living and homesteading, Vanessa loves to write about easy recipes, making money, gardening, home remedies and everything else that a good life entails! When she’s not writing for Food Life Design or creating products for VLHamlinDesign, you’ll find Vanessa reading, drawing, gardening, cooking or spending time with her family.