This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Looking for a sweet treat to serve at your next party? These homemade cream puffs are perfect for parties, dessert or even an after school treat for the kids.
My youngest daughter loves homemade cream puffs, as do the rest of us, but, she’s been asking for them for months. So, last week I finally decided to go ahead and make some for her.
Once again, I headed to my favorite cookbook (The American Women’s Cookbook) to find a recipe.
Of course, there was a simple one…there always is, that’s why I love this book so much.
If your family is anything like mine…they don’t stand a chance. They’ll be gone in 24 hours or less!
Homemade cream puffs also make the perfect after school treat for the kids or even dessert at your next party or family gathering.
- Measuring cups/spoons
- Small pot
- Small mixing bowl
- Wooden spoon
- Medium pot
- Baking sheet
- Medium cookie scoop
Here’s the recipe –
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1 egg yolk
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 cup water
- 1/2 cup shortening, I use butter flavored
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup flour, sifted
- 4 large eggs, unbeaten
- Chocolate syrup, optional
To Make The Filling:
- Pour 1 cup of milk into a small pot. Scald over medium-high heat.
- Combine sugar, salt, flour and 1/2 cup milk in a small bowl.
- Reduce heat to medium. Pour the flour mixture into the scalded milk. Stir constantly.
- Place egg yolk into a small bowl. Add 1/2 cup of the boiling cream mixture to the egg yolk, stir vigorously until combined. Pour back into the pot and continue to cook for 1 minute.
- Add butter and vanilla. Stir to combine.
- Refrigerate for 20 to 30 minutes.
To Make The Puffs:
- Preheat the oven to 450 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Pour water into a medium pot and heat to boiling on high temperature. Add shortening and salt. Continue boiling until shortening melts.
- Reduce heat and add flour. Stir vigorously until mixture forms a soft ball. Remove from heat.
- Add 1 egg at a time, stirring vigorously until the egg is thoroughly combined.
- Scoop mixture onto a baking sheet, using a medium cookie scoop.
- Bake for 20 minutes.
- Reduce heat to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for an additional 15 minutes.
- Cool for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Slice off the top of each puff and fill with cream filling.
- Fill puffs with the cream. Place tops back on the puffs.
- Drizzle with chocolate syrup and serve.
You might also like:
- Homemade Glazed Donuts with Just 5 Ingredients
- McDonald’s Apple Pie: Copycat Recipe
- Snickerdoodle Scones: Ready in 20 Minutes!
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive more free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your email!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Great Day!