Requiring minimal preparation and no watch time, this delicious Apple Beer Braised Cabbage is sure to become a family favorite.
Since St. Patrick’s Day is coming up and cabbage is at its lowest price of the year, I figured now would be the perfect time to share this Apple Beer Braised Cabbage recipe with you.
I first found the recipe in an old magazine my Gram gave me. It was paired up with a Corned Beef recipe for St. Patrick’s Day, but why should we have to wait for St. Patrick’s Day to enjoy cabbage?
I think ANY DAY is a great day to try out this recipe!
Cabbage not only tastes great, but it’s so good for you, too!
According to the University of Arizona, College of Agriculture and Life Sciences, cabbage has been used as both food and medicine since around 600 B.C.
Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamins A, C and K as well as calcium, potassium and magnesium. Some studies have shown that cabbage may have protective effects against colon cancer. – From the New Entry Sustainable Farming Project
As usual, I mixed up the recipe to incorporate the ingredients that I had available and we fell in love! EVERYONE in the house enjoyed this recipe, even my little sweetie, who considers cabbage to be one of her worst enemies.
Love it or hate it, you have to try this recipe. It might just change your taste buds!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 head cabbage, cut into 8 wedges
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 12 oz bottle apple flavored beer or hard cider
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup butter, slices
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Arrange the cabbage wedges in a 9 inch x 13 inch casserole dish.
- Combine the celery seed, salt, pepper, beer, vinegar and brown sugar in a separate bowl. Drizzle over the cabbage.
- Arrange butter slices over the cabbage. Sprinkle with crumbled bacon.
- Cover with foil and bake for 1 - 1 1/2 hours. Remove foil during the last 15 minutes of baking. Serve hot.
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Spectacular Day!
Vanessa Hamlin is the owner and founder of Food Life Design and VLHamlinDesign. With her passion for frugal living and homesteading, Vanessa loves to write about easy recipes, making money, gardening, home remedies and everything else that a good life entails! When she’s not writing for Food Life Design or creating products for VLHamlinDesign, you’ll find Vanessa reading, drawing, gardening, cooking or spending time with her family.