This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Hello – I hope you had an awesome 4th of July weekend! We mostly hung around the house and had a little BBQ of our own with homemade Firehouse Chicken, Cucumber Salad and these delicious Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes.
I haven’t made these potatoes in FOREVER!
And for whatever reason, my oldest daughter had an itching for them this weekend and asked if I could make them with our chicken.
It’s really funny how our BBQ came together this year…
I totally intended to just make a salad and grill hamburgers and hot dogs – keeping it easy!
Then, the Husband suggested we have Firehouse Chicken instead of burgers…
Bug wanted twice baked potatoes…
And when I was at the grocery, they had fresh corn on the cob – my youngest daughter’s favorite “vegetable”. So, of course I had to get some!
Quickly, turning my easy 4th of July dinner into a bit more of a spectacle than I’d planned.
I’m so glad it worked out that way because our little BBQ was perfect and the day couldn’t have been any better, even if we’d had a traditional celebration.
Now, before I get too off track – back to these potatoes…
They’re really, super easy to make and they only need a few ingredients.
Plus, you can easily double or triple the recipe if you need to feed a lot of people!
And here’s the very best part…
You can customize this recipe to fit whatever cheeses you have on hand!
Add some chopped broccoli or mixed vegetables to make a healthier potato.
Or even throw in some chopped up chicken or steak and make it a whole meal in one!
It’s a super versatile recipe and one you’re going to want to make often because it is truly the perfect side dish to complement whatever meat or vegetables you’re having!
Are you ready to make these Cheesy Twice Baked Potatoes?
Awesome! Let’s head to the kitchen and get started…
Here’s the recipe:
- 4 large russet potatoes
- 1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 slices American cheese, cut into small pieces, about 1/4 inch in size
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Scrub potatoes clean and dry off the skin.
- Wrap each potato in a separate piece of aluminum foil.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes or until the potato is soft. Remove from oven and cool until the potato is able to be handled.
- Slice potatoes in half on the longest side, so you have 2 long, oval potato halves, rather than short and round.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the insides of the potato, leaving the skin intact. Reserve the insides in a medium bowl.
- Arrange the potato skins on a 9 x 13 baking pan.
- Add cheeses, sour cream, salt and pepper to the potato insides. Stir to combine well - I used a potato masher.
- Scoop 1/8 of the the mashed potato mixture into each potato skin.
- Sprinkle the tops with additional shredded cheddar, if desired.
- Return to the oven and bake for an additional 15 to 20 minutes or until the cheese on top is lightly golden.
- Serve hot with your favorite grilled meat and a vegetable.
You might also like these potato recipes:
Signup for my daily newsletter to receive recipes, free printables, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Have a Spectacular Day!