This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Looking for a quick, easy way to fill the kids’ need for chicken nuggets without heading for the drive-thru? Make your own homemade chicken nuggets instead with this simple recipe.
My girls love chicken nuggets, especially my youngest…but you wouldn’t know it if you went out for fast food with us. She always orders a cheeseburger.
Honestly, I don’t think she’s ever ordered anything else.
However she loves the nuggets that you get in the freezer section at the grocery store.
They both do.
But, it can get pretty expensive buying a $10 or $12 bag of those every week.
So, instead I started making my own!
It’s cheaper, healthier and they love them just as much as the frozen ones…if not more…so, it’s a win-win!
Homemade chicken nuggets are super easy to make, plus you can make a lot of them at the same time, so you don’t have to do it often.
They’re made almost the same way as my Homemade Chicken Patties, except they’re also prepped for the freezer or for easy and independent kid-cooking.
What could be better?
The next time your kiddos are screaming for the golden arches, head to the kitchen instead and whip up a batch of homemade chicken nuggets that your kids will love!
Here’s the recipe –
- Deep Fryer with 4 cups oil
- 6 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (approx. 4 chicken breasts)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (I like Italian breadcrumbs)
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I like to use Miracle Whip – it gives the chicken more flavor)
- Preheat the deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place shredded chicken into a large food processor bowl.
- Add 1 cup breadcrumbs, pepper, salt, garlic powder, egg and mayonnaise to the food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Separate chicken mixture into approximately 40 sections and roll into little balls, then flatten to create nuggets.
- Pour 1 cup breadcrumbs into a small bowl. Dip the chicken nuggets into the breadcrumbs.
- Drop chicken nuggets into the hot oil (about 10 or so at a time, depending on the size of your deep fryer) and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove nuggets from the fryer and drain on a baking sheet, covered with paper towel.
- Remove the paper towel and arrange the chicken nuggets on the baking sheet so that they are not touching each other.
- Place the sheet, uncovered, in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken nuggets from the freezer and place into a gallon-sized zipper bag.
- Write the following on the zipper bag using a permanent marker: HOMEMADE CHICKEN NUGGETS - BAKE @ 375 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT FOR 15 MINUTES.
- TO PREPARE: Just follow the instructions written on the bag and enjoy!
When the kids are screaming for these golden nuggets, just pull some out of the freezer, bake as directed and serve with your favorite condiments.
I hope you’ve enjoyed learning how to make homemade chicken nuggets. My kids love these things so much that I can’t keep them in stock!
You might also like:
- Homemade Chicken Patties
- Cheesy Chicken Pizza Burgers: Just 4 Ingredients!
- Make Your Own Individual Cheese Pizza for the Freezer
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Like this post? Don’t forget to PIN IT to share with your friends:
Have a Spectacular Day!