- Deep Fryer with 4 cups oil
- 6 cups chicken, cooked and shredded (approx. 4 chicken breasts)
- 2 cups breadcrumbs (I like Italian breadcrumbs)
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1-2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 egg
- 1 cup mayonnaise (I like to use Miracle Whip – it gives the chicken more flavor)
- Preheat the deep fryer to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Place shredded chicken into a large food processor bowl.
- Add 1 cup breadcrumbs, pepper, salt, garlic powder, egg and mayonnaise to the food processor. Pulse until combined.
- Separate chicken mixture into approximately 40 sections and roll into little balls, then flatten to create nuggets.
- Pour 1 cup breadcrumbs into a small bowl. Dip the chicken nuggets into the breadcrumbs.
- Drop chicken nuggets into the hot oil (about 10 or so at a time, depending on the size of your deep fryer) and cook for 3 minutes.
- Remove nuggets from the fryer and drain on a baking sheet, covered with paper towel.
- Remove the paper towel and arrange the chicken nuggets on the baking sheet so that they are not touching each other.
- Place the sheet, uncovered, in the freezer for 20 minutes.
- Remove the chicken nuggets from the freezer and place into a gallon-sized zipper bag.
- Write the following on the zipper bag using a permanent marker: HOMEMADE CHICKEN NUGGETS - BAKE @ 375 DEGREES FAHRENHEIT FOR 15 MINUTES.
- TO PREPARE: Just follow the instructions written on the bag and enjoy!
Looking for a quick, easy way to fill the kids’ need for chicken nuggets without heading for the drive-thru? Make your own homemade chicken nuggets instead with this simple recipe.
The cost of groceries is skyrocketing and estimates show that it’s the largest rise in costs since the early 1980s! Now’s the time to stock up and learn how to make your own food at home and if you have kids, you’ll definitely need to fill your freezer with these yummy Homemade Chicken Nuggets!
My girls loved chicken nuggets when they were little, especially my youngest, but you wouldn’t have known it if you went out for fast food with us…
She’s always ordered a hamburger.
However, she loved the nuggets that you get in the freezer section at the grocery store.
They both did…
But, it can get pretty expensive buying a $10 or $12 bag of those every week.
So, instead I made my own!
It’s cheaper, healthier and they loved them just as much as the frozen ones…if not more…so, it’s a win-win!
No More Fast Food Runs for Chicken Nuggets
Homemade chicken nuggets are super easy to make, plus you can make a lot of them at the same time, so you don’t have to do it often.
They’re made almost the same way as my Homemade Chicken Patties, except they’re also prepped for the freezer or for easy and independent kid-cooking.
What could be better?
When the kids are screaming for the golden arches chicken, just pull some of your own out of the freezer, bake as directed and serve with your favorite condiments.
I hope you’ve enjoyed learning how to make homemade chicken nuggets. My kids loved these things so much that I couldn’t keep them in stock!
You might also like:
- Homemade Chicken Patties
- Cheesy Chicken Pizza Burgers: Just 4 Ingredients!
- Make Your Own Individual Cheese Pizza for the Freezer
Have a Spectacular Day!
Vanessa Hamlin is the owner and founder of Food Life Design and VLHamlinDesign. With her passion for frugal living and homesteading, Vanessa loves to write about easy recipes, making money, gardening, home remedies and everything else that a good life entails! When she’s not writing for Food Life Design or creating products for VLHamlinDesign, you’ll find Vanessa reading, drawing, gardening, cooking or spending time with her family.