This post may contain affiliate links. As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases. Please see my policies to learn more.
Old Fashioned Cocoa Bread is the dessert you’ve been waiting to find! It requires simple ingredients and only takes a few minutes to whip up – so, what are you waiting for? Make some today!
My Gram gave me some of her old cookbooks from when she and my Pop were first married, for which I am ever so grateful.
I particularly love old cookbooks, but inside these old books is a world of opportunities that my grandmother got to discover when she was a young mother.
Opportunities that include recipes like this delicious old fashioned cocoa bread, along with hundreds of others.
The greatest thing about these cookbooks is – the ingredients are simple, easily found and the recipes are quick and easy compared to some of the gourmet meals we create today.
And who doesn’t love simple? I know I do!
And since my family loved this Old Fashioned Cocoa Bread so much, I thought yours might, too!
So, let’s get started!
- Sifter or wire strainer
- Measuring cups and spoons
- Large mixing bowl and electric mixer or stand mixer
- 9 x 5 inch bread pan
- Wire cooling rack
Ingredients: flour, sugar, salt, baking powder, cocoa, shortening, egg.
Dump the flour into a sifter or wire strainer.
Add the baking powder…
And the salt…
Lots of cocoa and sugar!
Pour the milk into your mixing bowl.
Add the melted shortening…
And the egg…
Then whip it up and slowly dump in the dry ingredients. Whip it again!
Grease your bread pan…
Slop in the batter and smooth out the top…
Add a sprinkle of sugar or two…
And bake for about an hour.
Then, slice it up and cure your chocolate cravings!
Here’s the recipe:
- 2 1/2 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 1/3 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shortening, melted
- Additional sugar, optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Grease a loaf pan with cooking spray or shortening.
- Place flour into a sifter or a metal strainer.
- Add the baking powder, salt, cocoa and sugar. Set aside.
- Pour the milk into a large mixing bowl, add the melted shortening and the egg. Use an electric mixer, on low speed, to combine.
- Sift the dry ingredients into the wet, slowly. Mix continuously.
- Scoop the dough into the loaf pan and smooth out the top.
- Sprinkle additional sugar over the top of the old fashioned cocoa bread dough, if desired.
- Bake for 45 to 55 minutes.
- Allow your Old Fashioned Cocoa Bread to cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm with butter or strawberry jam.
You might also like:
Be sure to signup for my daily newsletter to receive free printables, easy dinner ideas, recipes, home business tips and so much more right in your inbox!
Have a Great Day!
Last Updated on